Our client approached us to undertake this substantial two-storey extension to their listed manor house. The site was a challenging location on a hillside with restricted access & extensive groundworks required before building works could begin.
We were proud to have this project nominated for the Local Authority Building Excellence Awards 2020 in three categories including ‘Best Extension’
Our brief was to create a modern timber-framed building with high energy performance & efficiency – but to be consistent to the heritage & status of the existing building
- Demolition of existing buildings & salvage of materials where possible
- Excavation of in excess 500 tonnes of material – all retained on-site for re-use in landscaping at the end of the project
- Repairs to exterior of existing listed building from demolition works
- Provision of new utility supplies
- Construction of two-storey timber framed extension – incorporating steel frame elements to stabilise the largely open-plan ground floor
- Supply & installation of bespoke hardwood external joinery throughout the new extension – including feature glass link to existing manor house
- Design & installation of hot water & heating system to meet demand of enlarged home
- Supply & installation of stone archway with bespoke arched doors within new extension
- Supply & installation of three en-suite bathrooms
- Supply & installation of hardwood floor to open-plan living area
- Landscaping to include ground terracing with gabion baskets – to create levelled lawn & enlarged parking area – all from materials recycled from extension excavations
Works were completed on schedule after 7 months on-site during November 2019
We’ve all seen the design & building programmes on TV
Lots of problems along the way, big fall outs with the builders etc .
Yes there were problems, but nothing that Ashley & his great team of guys couldn’t sort out.
And no big fall outs, which when you spend 7 months having the builders in must be fairly rare!
My project was a very large extension, including bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms,
Complicated heating & plumbing requirements & miles of wiring to be joined on to existing house.
Lots of joinery, a staircase, oak & stone floors, retaining garden walls the list went on!
From day one of watching a very nasty extension being demolished, on to digging through unexpected layers of stone to the final days & finishing touches the whole project was handled in a very professional way!
I have nothing but praise for Ashley & the team, between them, they seem to be able to tackle anything that is thrown at them & I would highly recommend A.S. Baker for any project you may have in mind, big or small!
Alan, April 2020